Whether it’s bread, meat, milk or fruit, whatever we eat demands water. The Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) estimates that we need to increase agricultural production globally by 70% to feed the projected 9 billion people expected on the planet by 2050.
Tag Archives | water stress
Water utilities are losing billions of Rand through lost and stolen water in South Africa, while poor sanitation in Africa is leading to the deaths of millions of children through water-borne diseases. This emerged from the four-day African Water Association conference, which started in Durban yesterday.
Lack of rain has prompted the city to urge residents to water stressed trees Despite the recent hot spell, Londoners continue to show restraint with their use of water. What a difference a decade and higher water rates can make. With a population about 9% greater than in 2001, Londoners are using nearly 20% less […]
Good water management of is key. Whether it’s bread, meat, milk or fruit, whatever we eat demands water. The Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) estimates that we need to increase agricultural production globally by 70% to feed the projected 9 billion people expected on the planet by 2050.
The causes of water scarcity are varied. Some are natural and others are as a result of human activity. The current debate sites the causes as largely deterministic in that scarcity is a result of identifiable cause and effect. However, if water scarcity is the point at which water stress occurs (the point at which […]
What is your country’s ‘water footprint’? The ‘water footprint’ of a country is defined as the volume of water needed for the production of goods and services consumed by the inhabitants of the country. The water footprint of a country can be calculated with either
- What is Raw Water, and is it healthy? January 7, 2018
- Rainwater Harvesting Calculator – South Africa December 29, 2017
- Lowveld Dam Levels – Watch out for the 2017/2018 dry season March 29, 2017
- Climate Watch for South Africa March 29, 2017
- South Africa: Renewables Program Gains Momentum July 28, 2016
- Washing Machine Water Efficiency March 26, 2011
- Don’t Let your Swimming Pool Backwash Water Damage the Environment May 11, 2010
- The Use of Wind Turbines vs Solar Power in South Africa May 8, 2010
- The FIFA World Cup’s Carbon Impact June 4, 2010
- What is a Natural Swimming Pool? May 6, 2010