Nearly 50 percent of tap water is being stolen, wasted or simply leaking away every year in South Africa, the 30th driest country in the world. Record-keeping and water-metering is so shoddy that some municipalities don’t even know how much water they are using, according to a new report commissioned by the Water Research Commission.
Tag Archives | water leaks
South Africa is a water-constrained country. There’s no doubt that our ability to supply the water desired by agriculture, commerce and domestic usage is rapidly coming to an end. A growing population and an expanding economy, even at the slow rates this country habitually achieves, are stretching the deliverability of this most delicate of natural […]
One of the biggest dangers of climate change is the threat to our water resources. As our water engineers constantly remind us, South Africa is a water scarce country. The most densely populated province, Gauteng, straddles a watershed, and has to import 88% of its water, most of it from the Vaal River (with some […]
Businesses often overlook the need to keep an eye on their water consumption and inefficient use of water can end up costing them in more ways than one Energy efficiency has become a focus area for businesses as the cost of electricity has continued to escalate in recent years. However, when embarking upon carbon footprint […]
There are two very important reasons why we should conserve water. One is the obvious money-saving issue, while the second is something that the majority of the general public do not think of nearly enough – the environment.
A definite and sustained decrease in water loss in the eThekwini municipality was recorded last year. Head of city’s Water and Sanitation department, Neil Macleod, said while Durban was quickly outgrowing its water supply, the unit was making strides in containing non-revenue water – which included water lost to leaks, among other problems.
- Jojo Tanks Suppliers April 21, 2019
- Fear of a dry future for Cape Town June 27, 2018
- What is Raw Water, and is it healthy? January 7, 2018
- Rainwater Harvesting Calculator – South Africa December 29, 2017
- Lowveld Dam Levels – Watch out for the 2017/2018 dry season March 29, 2017
- Washing Machine Water Efficiency March 26, 2011
- Don’t Let your Swimming Pool Backwash Water Damage the Environment May 11, 2010
- The Use of Wind Turbines vs Solar Power in South Africa May 8, 2010
- The FIFA World Cup’s Carbon Impact June 4, 2010
- What is a Natural Swimming Pool? May 6, 2010