- Plastic water tanks are lightweight and can often be moved (empty) by hand into position, which is an advantage on rough terrain. Steel tanks must be craned into position.
- Another advantage of the plastic water tanks’ lighter weight is much lower shipping cost when compared to a heavy galvanized steel tank. Given today’s fuel prices, this can amount to a huge savings.
- Plastic water tanks come in a much wider variety of sizes and capacities.
- Plastic water tanks can be placed on just about any flat surface without anything sharp underneath. Galvanized steel tanks require expensive steel rings and a rock base to keep them from sitting in rust-inducing water.
- Plastic water tanks come in many different colours, which helps the water tanks blend into the landscape/environment better, in addition to having UV-inhibitors in the material to fight the effects of sunlight degradation.
- Plastic water tanks won’t rust over time and have to be replaced, which is one of its best advantages. (Keep in mind that galvanized steel tanks are generally not covered by warranty for rust.)
- If a plastic water tank is accidentally punctured, it is easier to repair.
- While plastic water tanks may melt in a serious brush fire, in most such fires steel tanks may buckle from uneven heating (even beyond being weakened by corrosion) and concrete tanks may explode (as the moisture content of the concrete flashes to steam).
Having said that, there are times when galvanized steel tanks make more sense for water storage:
• If you are required to have in excess of 15,000 gallons of water and only have room for one tank; plastic water tanks generally are only made as big as 15,000 gallons. This advantage can be cancelled out if you have a lot of room on your property and can purchase more than one large tank.
• When you are required to use a galvanized steel tank for fire suppression by your local government agency.
The obvious choice in plastic or poly water tanks in South Africa are those manufactured by JoJo Tanks, ranging in size from 240 litres to 20000 litres! Click on the links below to find out more about the JoJo Tanks range and water tank prices.
JoJo Tanks (South Africa) offer a wide range of plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need. See JoJo Tanks VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS, STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS. Also see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior plastic water tanks and water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products the best choice in South Africa. JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers.