- Water your garden in the cool of the early morning or evening. This will reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation.
- If you water plants and shrubs too often their roots will remain shallow, weakening the plant. Leave them alone until they show signs of wilting.
- Collect rainwater in water tanks and use a watering can instead of a hose. If you prefer to use a hosepipe, fit a trigger nozzle to control the flow.
- Regularly weed and hoe your garden, to ensure that watering helps plants and not weeds.
- Plant flowers and shrubs that thrive in hot and dry conditions such as thyme, evening primrose, rock rose, Californian poppy, pinks, lavender, buddleia and hebes.
- Mulches such as wood chips, bark and gravel help to prevent water evaporation and also suppress weed growth, saving you both water and time spent weeding.
- Lawns can survive long periods of dry weather if the grass is not cut too short. Even if the grass turns brown, it will quickly recover after a few days of rain.
- Garden sprinklers can use as much water in an hour as a family of four uses in two days. If you use a sprinkler, many water companies require you to have a water meter fitted.
Source: Environment Agency (UK)
These easy tips to save water in the garden are applicable in most parts of the world. In South Africa, we recommend that indigenous plants be used in the garden wherever possible – native plants are already adapted to the climate and local pest species thus reducing the need for excessive irrigation and pest control measures. Plants have been shown to thrive on rain water compared to chemical-laden municipal water; installing a rain water tank for irrigating your lawn and garden saves money and water too.
Once some simple rainwater harvesting into small water tanks or rain barrels has been experienced, many homeowners decide to expand the project and install more rainwater tanks for household use. Ensure that high quality water storage tanks are chosen; we recommend water tanks, rainwater tanks and tank stands made by JoJo Tanks, South Africa. Click on the links below to find your ideal JoJo Tanks product.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands. See JoJo Tanks VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS. Also see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products the best choice in South Africa. JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 LITRE JOJO WATER TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks also available on order)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!