1. Drain the water from the plastic rainwater tank or water tank so that the water level is 2 to 3 inches below the repair area.
2. Determine the type of plastic your rainwater tank is made from by finding the three-letter identification code stamped on the surface and then referencing the identification code in the plastics identification guide. In the identification guide there will be a welding temperature listed along with the plastic’s melting temperature.
3. Set the heat of the plastic welder, turn the plastic welder on and allow the plastic welder to warm up while you prep the repair area.
4. Put on your safety glasses.
5. Create a 1/16-inch groove over the repair area with the carbide bevelling tip attached to the die-grinder. Run the groove 1/2 inch past each side of the repair area. This will ensure that the stress is relieved from the repair.
6. Hold the speed tip of the plastic welder on one end of the repair area and feed a length of plastic filler rod into the rod guide of the speed tip.
7. Apply downward pressure on the plastic filler rod and pull the plastic welder toward you. Keep a constant eye on the area where the plastic filler rod meets the surface of the repair area. If you notice the surface of the repair area turning brown, increase the speed you are pulling the plastic welder. Slow down your pulling speed if you notice there is no bead of melted plastic flowing in front of the area where the plastic filler rod meets the surface of the repair area.
8. Clip the plastic filler rod with the side-cutting pliers when you reach the end of the repair area. Fuse the end of the plastic filler rod to the surface of the plastic water tank.
9. Allow the welded area to cool to air temperature before allowing any water to enter your rainwater storage tank.
JoJo Tanks in South Africa manufacture high quality, durable polyethylene tanks but it is inevitable that accidental damage to water tanks may occur. Damaged JoJo water tanks and chemical tanks can be repaired using the plastic welding technique outlined above – contact your local plumber who may offer plastic welding services. Click on the links below to view the wide range of JoJo water tanks and other high quality JoJo Tanks products available in South Africa.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!