Installing water tanks or rainwater tanks is not a fit and forget activity, although most polyethylene tanks require very little maintenance. The article below touches on some installation and maintenance advice.
- If your water tank is going to be large, consult a builder or engineer, as it may require structural support.
- Have the water tank installed by a plumber or the tank manufacturer. This will ensure the system operates efficiently, and is easy to maintain.
- Lead-based paint and flashing, or tar-based coatings found on some roofs affect water quality. Make sure your roof material is non-toxic.
- A U-shaped gutter traps leaves and twigs. If possible, choose water friendly gutters, or cover existing gutters in mesh.
- Try to make all pipes ‘dry’. This means having a continuous downward path so water can’t accumulate between flushes.
- Have all openings covered by a mosquito-proof mesh.
- Install a first flush diverter on the downpipe. This is especially important in areas of high pesticide use or atmospheric pollution.
- A sump box between the downpipe and the water tank can slow the water flow down, separating out any sediment not previously diverted.
- Make sure the tank overflow outlet is connected back into the stormwater pipe or irrigation system.
- Make sure tank water is aerated, so it will not become stagnant.
- Clean the inside of the water tank every few years, as sediment will accumulate.
- You may need to install a pump to provide adequate water pressure for some appliances. Consider appliances that can operate at less than mains pressure.
Issues associated with rainwater use
There are some important factors that can affect the quality of rainwater stored in tanks. These include:
- Contamination from pollutants found in roof and pipe materials.
- Contamination from bird droppings, local pollution, and organic material collected on the roof.
- Breeding of mosquitoes in the water supply.
The quality of water you need to maintain will depend on its use. However, water from rooftops that contain harmful chemicals should not be used for any purpose. Drinking water must meet the standards set by health authorities.
These quality issues can be overcome through the use of approved products and techniques. Tanks and other equipment must meet the required standards, and state health authorities will approve most reputable manufacturers and installers.
In South Africa, we recommend water tanks and rainwater tanks manufactured by JoJo Tanks – these tanks are made from high quality, food-grade materials and are lined with an inner black lining that inhibits algae growth and further reduces maintenance requirements. Click on the links below to view the wide range of JoJo water tanks, JoJo rainwater tanks, JoJo septic tanks, JoJo silo tanks, JoJo tank stands and other high quality JoJo Tanks products.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!