A plastic water tank is a plastic water tank…or is it? The truth is that not all poly water tanks make the grade for harsh African conditions and it is wise to check some specifications before buying.
So what makes the ideal polyethylene water tank for African conditions? Here are some pointers to look out for:
- Is there a warranty or guaranty on the water tank? Check that the water tank manufacturer or retailer offers some kind of guarantee (imported plastic tanks and cheaper locally made tanks do not offer any guarantees!). If a water tank manufacturer is confident to offer a guarantee of a reasonable length, you can be assured that the design specifications will be of a good standard.
- How is the poly water tank made? Rotational-moulded or is there a seam indicating that a two-piece mould has been used? Look carefully and if you find an obvious seam, rather avoid this tank as these seams are prone to splitting and cracking. Rotational-moulded (‘roto-moulded’) poly tanks do not have any seams due to the way the tank is formed and are potentially longer-lasting and less prone to splitting/cracking.
- Does the water tank come standard with an inner black liner? High African temperatures and sunny weather make for ideal growth conditions for algae. Many cheaper poly water tanks (and even some high quality poly tanks) do not have any sort of lining to inhibit algae growth. This means that, for lighter coloured tanks especially, algae will grow and contaminate the stored water and more frequent cleaning will be required.
- Is the polyethylene of the water tank made with a built-in UV-protection agent? Again, sunny African conditions and intense solar radiation will make short work of poly water tanks that do not have some form of UV protection. The result is cracking and fading that shortens the tank’s useful lifespan. Always check that your poly water tank brand of choice specifies UV protection.
- Does the plastic water tank carry any national certification or standards approval? National certification is difficult (and often costly) to obtain because the product is tested rigorously according to local environmental conditions. Poly water tanks that do not carry any sort of independent national certification should be avoided (even if a plastic tank carries an international certification, this may be meaningless for local conditions).
With the above in mind, we have chosen JoJo Tanks in South Africa as our main brand to market and supply. JoJo vertical and horizontal water tanks carry an 8-year guarantee, are rotational moulded, have a food-grade FDA-approved black inner lining, are UV-protected and have been awarded South African Agrément certification – a first for the South African rotomoulding industry.
Click on the links below to see the wide range of high quality JoJo Tanks products – designed and manufactured to withstand harsh African conditions.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.