Good quality ‘plastic’ or polyethylene water tanks do not require much maintenance over their service lives but there are a few things that will ensure maximum service life is attained.
In the first place, always buy the best quality, rotational moulded poly tanks to ensure that the workmanship is up to standard and that good quality materials are used for the manufacture of the water tank.
Here are a few tips for the care and maintenance of poly water tanks:
- Ensure that the water tanks are carefully loaded, transported and offloaded after you have purchased them – the majority of damage to plastic water tanks is during this time
- Always install poly water tanks on flat, level surfaces that are able to withstand tonnes of downward pressure without bending, cracking or subsiding – uneven tank platforms and tank bases can cause damage to the bottom of the water tank when filled with water
- Make certain that there are no loose structures or objects near to the water tank that could fall onto the water tank and damage the tank’s walls during a high winds or accidental knocking over
- Most good quality polyethylene water tanks are manufactured with UV-resistant material and can withstand direct sunlight for many years. Cheaper poly water tanks will quickly fade and crack, especially in the harsh African sun. Service life may be prolonged if the water tanks are placed in shade or are shaded/protected in some way
- Ensure that excessively hot water is not stored in plastic water tanks – as a rule of thumb, most polyethylene water tanks can withstand temperatures of up to 40 degrees Celsius; do not store water at higher temperatures for long periods
- Inspect plastic water tanks for cracks and gouges – these can sometimes be successfully be repaired via plastic welding
- Do not store fuels or chemicals in water tanks designed for storing water; only use medium duty or heavy duty chemical tanks for this purpose
- Check that the water tank lid is firmly secured to prevent foreign matter and organisms from entering the water tank
- If silt-laden or dirty water is stored in the water tank, periodically de-sludge the tank and ensure that any stones or abrasive material is removed
- Keep plastic water tanks away from fire or other heat sources – polyethylene has a very low melting temperature and will deform is exposed to open flame or high heat
Polyethylene water tanks are generally much easier to care for and maintain than other types of tanks such as galvanised steel tanks. Water tank stands that raise the water tanks off the ground can ensure the water tanks are protected from vandalism and damage from livestock as well as providing pressure for water reticulation.
We recommend water tanks and other products manufactured by JoJo Tanks. All vertical and horizontal JoJo tanks are made with an inner black food-grade lining that is FDA-approved and keeps the water fresher for longer. JoJo Tanks products also carry a 5-year guarantee and are available throughout South Africa.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 LITRE, 15000 LITRE & 20000 LITRE JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)