A flat and well constructed base is critical for all water tanks. The whole under side of the tank must be fully supported. Every 1000 litres of water weighs 1 tonne. It is critical that the overall weight of your tank is considered before deciding the location.
Concrete Slab: Always the best long term solution for your new water tank. A well laid concrete slab min 100mm thick with reinforcing mesh ensures the base will last as along as the tank.
Pre-cast Concrete Pavers: Suitable for when the ground is already flat and stable. Lay the pavers on a 50mm dry mix of sand and cement. Ensure they are level and stable.
Crusher Dust / Sand Base: For round tanks. The sand or dust must be well contained to ensure it will not be undermined by water run off etc.
Tank Stand: The stand and footing should be engineered to take the intended weight. A less expensive option is to make the tank taller and add a bucket tap.
Source: Tanksalot (NZ)
The construction of a sturdy base for a plastic or polyethylene tank is not difficult but certain guidelines must be adhered to (see JoJo Tanks’ guidelines below). Stee tank stands are a good option if pressure is required or where the tanks need to be out of easy reach, for whatever reason.
The following tips/guidlines are provided by JoJo Tanks South Africa to assist you or your installer. These tips must be read/used in conjunction with the JoJo Tanks Guarantee.
- A robust base of at least 20 mm wider than the base of the tank (no polyethylene tank should “hang” over its base)
- The base must be smooth, in the sence that no sharp stones or hard objects should be in the concrete mixture (use 25MPA cement) where it pushes through the surface (it could push a hole through the tanks base when it is full)
- It is recommended that the concrete base be at least 150mm thick ( a 5 000 lt tank holds 5 tons of water!)
- Any brick/concrete block type of product used to manufacture the bases should be allowed to set/dry (the mortar between) for at least 36-48 hours before filling in with the concrete base
- Rubble or sabunga used to fill in the constructed base must be properly stamped in, usung the right tool/compactor/heavy stamper (human weight is insufficient to compact the rubble/sabunga)
- The base must be level (check with a spirit level)
- Should lip-channel or beams be used, ensure that the material is treated with an approved product to prolong its life. The gaps between the lip-channel or beams should be no larger than 50mm (5 cm)
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands. See JoJo Tanks VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS. Also see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products the best choice in South Africa. JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 LITRE JOJO WATER TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks also available on order)