South Africa has every reason to get excited about the theme of World Wetlands Day 2012. We are a worldwide tourism destination and a water-scarce country according to the statistics of the Ramsar Convention. These factors make us a prime candidate country for wetlands conservation and sustainable tourism.
Tag Archives | world wetlands day
This year the theme of World Wetlands Day will be ‘Wetlands & Tourism,’ celebrated on Thursday 2 February 2012. This will celebrate the 41st anniversary of the Ramsar Convention, an intergovernmental treaty signed on 2 February 1971 in Iran for the protection of wetlands worldwide. 160 countries have since signed the treaty.
Wetland restoration is a billion-dollar-a-year industry in the United States that aims to create ecosystems similar to those that disappeared over the past century. But a new analysis of restoration projects shows that restored wetlands seldom reach the quality of a natural wetland.
VARANASI: Rainwater harvesting should not be restricted to only rooftop rainwater harvesting and should be expanded to reach alternative programmes like rejuvenation of tributaries to save wetlands that are fast drying up and facing water pollution and contamination. It was said by chairman, Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), SP Gautam while inaugurating the one-day seminar […]
- What size water tank do I need for my household? September 24, 2020
- How to waste less wastewater February 2, 2020
- Jojo Tanks Suppliers April 21, 2019
- Fear of a dry future for Cape Town June 27, 2018
- What is Raw Water, and is it healthy? January 7, 2018
- Washing Machine Water Efficiency March 26, 2011
- Don’t Let your Swimming Pool Backwash Water Damage the Environment May 11, 2010
- The Use of Wind Turbines vs Solar Power in South Africa May 8, 2010
- The FIFA World Cup’s Carbon Impact June 4, 2010
- What is a Natural Swimming Pool? May 6, 2010