It is so important to educate children about water conservation who will in turn educate their friends and even their parents. Water conservation systems such as rainwater harvesting water tanks and grey water recycling systems are a great way of reinforcing the water conservation ethos as these are practical and the results can be seen by children and adults alike.
- Whenever you wash your hands, don’t leave the water running. Wet your hands and turn the water off. Use soap and lather your hands well, then turn the water on to rinse. Turn off the water and make sure it is off completely. Then dry your hands.
- Do the same when you brush your teeth. Turn the faucet on to get your toothbrush and toothpaste wet, and then again to rinse your mouth and toothbrush. Don’t leave the water running while you’re brushing.
- Tell your friends what you’re doing and why and encourage them to do the same.
- Tell adults when faucets are dripping.
- Since baths use a lot of water (about 37 gallons on average), take short showers instead and use only about 20 gallons of water, instead.
- Use a wastebasket for used tissues, or things like gum wrappers, paper towels, or even dead bugs or goldfish. Don’t flush them – the average flush uses as much as 5 gallons of water! Even if the toilets in your house are “low-flow” toilets, using them for trash still uses 1.5 gallons of water unnecessarily.
- A regular shower head uses as much as 7 gallons of water every minute. Let adults know they could get a free low-flow shower head at the local water district. Or, suggest that they look for a low flow shower head that has a cut-off valve that shuts off the water flow while lathering your hair or shaving legs. You can then turn the water back on, without it starting off cold again. This will help to conserve even more water while showering.
- Do you have plants in your house? When meals are prepared and vegetables or other fresh produce are washed, collect that water and use it to water the plants.
- In the tank part of the toilets in your house, put several drops of food coloring into the water. If you see the coloring seeping into the bowl, there’s a leak. Fixing it can save about 600 gallons of water each month!
- Do you like a drink of cold water now and then? Rather than running the kitchen faucet for several minutes to get cold water, keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator.
- Put a rain barrel or rain water tank outdoors to catch rain water, then use that water for things like watering plants or flushing toilets and save hundreds of gallons of water a year!
- In the summertime, it’s fun to play under the lawn sprinkler. When you do, make sure it’s when the lawn is being watered at the same time.
- Do you have other summer water toys that require a running hose? These might be fun, but they also waste gallons and gallons of water.
- Is there a garbage disposal in your kitchen sink? Then, you know the water has to run into it when you turn on the switch. Instead of doing that and wasting water, why not start composting food waste instead? Collect things like fruit skins and peels, vegetable leaves and stems, and even dead plants and flowers. In a ceramic container, keep them moist and toss them for air once a week. The compost can then be added to a garden like a vitamin for your outdoor plants!
- Encourage the others in your home, and your friends, not to leave any faucet running. Only use what is truly needed!
- If there is a dishwasher in your house, encourage everyone to scrape their plates rather than rinse them before loading them into the machine. It should always be full before turning it on.
- Do you notice that your toilet handle “sticks” and has to be “jiggled” for the toilet to stop flushing? If this is happening, water is continuously running through the toilet and needs to be fixed. Let the adults in your home know.
- Is there a leaky faucet or toilet in the bathroom at school? Be sure to let someone know so that it can be repaired.
- If there is a pool or a hot tub at your house, encourage those who use it to cover it afterwards. This prevents evaporation and having to keep refilling.
- If the adults in your home occasionally water the lawn, encourage them to water in the cooler parts of the day (early morning, or at or after sunset), and never on windy days. This keeps in the soil all the water being sprayed instead of most of the water being lost to evaporation.
Even if you do just one thing each day to contribute to your home’s water conservation, you’re doing the right thing!
Source: The Water Page
JoJo water tanks are available in so many sizes, types and shapes; there is sure to be the right JoJo tank for your requirements; click on the links below for more information about JoJo Tanks products in South Africa.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 8-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!