If you harvest rainwater, you can drink the water from your rain water tanks but the water must be appropriately filtered – the article below briefly describes the qualities of some common water filter types. If you intend drinking rainwater, it is also important to ensure that you purchase water tanks that are rated for storing potable water.
These cartridges are excellent for removing particles such as chlorine, volatile organic compounds (VOC), and sediment. However, they are not suitable for removal of salts, minerals or dissolved inorganic compounds.
Certain particles like nitrates, sodium, fluoride and other toxic metals would slip right through.
These are an effective and reasonably cheap method of drinking water filtration. They operate by filtering dirt, bacteria and debris from the water by passing it through the small pores of the ceramic material.
They contain two cylinders, one for pouring the unfiltered water, which blocks anything that is bigger than the pores of the ceramic and the second one filters the clean water onto the other side. This filter is great for blocking protozoa, bacteria and microbial cysts, but viruses are small enough to slip through, so this form of filtration will not provide protection against the previously mentioned contaminants.
Reverse osmosis is good filtration system for removing contamination such as arsenic, chlorine, fluoride, sediment, iron, bacteria, viruses, heavy metals, nitrates, many microorganisms, bad tastes and odor.
All Reverse osmosis systems operate in the same basic manner. However, there is a significant difference between the basic and the more advanced versions of this type of water filtration system.
Most water filters for refrigerators use a filter medium known as activated carbon water filters. The use of Carbon for filtration purposes is ancient and still very much in use. The simple reason for its continued popularity is that it is an extremely effective method of water filtration. Carbon has an amazing ability to absorb whatever it comes in contact with. The purified water passes through but leaves the contaminants behind in the carbon. These are also referred to as charcoal water filters.
1. There are a few things to consider before you decide on buying a filtration system. You must consider the frequency at which the cartridge needs replacement. This information can easily be found in the manuals.
2. Unless you are tracking every gallon of water used, it will be hard for you to know how much you have used before you need to replace the cartridge. It is not a bad idea to invest in a filtration system that comes with an indicator.
3. Avoid a lower capacity cartridge because that means more frequent changes, therefore will be more expensive in the long-run.
4. Figure out what other components would require regular maintenance and any additional costs of replacement e.g membranes of the reverse osmosis filters.
5. If you are buying a replacement water filter cartridge make your you have the exact model. Just because the same filtration method is being used by different manufacturers does not mean that any cartridge will do. make a note of its serial number and when it was installed.
6. Always change your filter cartridge before or on the recommended date. Never let it go past the change date. If the water starts to smell or taste bad before that, change it immediately.The same rules apply to refrigerator water filters, the health threat to your family is as real there as it is anywhere. As soon as the recommended time expires, or even sooner if you have any doubts, it is time for a refrigerator water filter replacement
7. Always look for warranties on your filter system, the longer the warranty period, the better. Usually a long warranty is an indication of the manufacturers faith in their product.
8. Only buy water filter cartridges that remove the contamination specific to your water. If you have not had a test performed on your water get it done as soon as possible. With this information you know what you need to get rid of and can act accordingly.
Source: Water Filters Reviewed
JoJo water tanks are made from 100% virgin, food-grade polyethylene and are certified for storing water for human consumption. JoJo Tanks water tanks are also lined with a special black inner lining that inhibits algae growth and ensures that water stays fresher for longer. Click on the links below for more information on jojo water tanks and other high quality JoJo Tanks products.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 8-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)