Regular water tank maintenance is very necessary to ensure that the stored water is of good quality, especially rain water tanks where debris from the roof or gutter can enter the tank. The article below offers some useful tips for cleaning rain barrels and small water tanks.
As time goes by, your useful rain barrel or water tank will eventually collect and end up accumulating a lot of organic debris, sediment and more, regardless of whether or not it’s your only rain harvesting water source. Pieces of bird waste, dust, grit, pollen, seeds and leaves as well as many other things may end up in the water you’re collecting if you’re not diligent about cleaning it up. This debris will eventually end up settling in the water and forming a layer of all manner of muck on the bottom of the tank. They will eventually grow algae on the bottom and walls of the water tank.
The following tips will give you an idea how you can approach the subject of cleaning your water tank safely:
- Start by draining, then removing the rain barrel or tank from its downspout that feeds into it. Place the barrel on its side for ease of access.
- You must start your cleaning efforts at the gutter canal that feeds rainwater into your barrel, making sure it’s nice and clean and free of any obstructions and debris. Rinse it with a garden hose and make sure it drains properly before you move on.
- Check the interior of the downspout and make sure nothing is blocking it, so it won’t eventually end up in your rain water tank. This will take a good bit of looking and checking, but it will be worth it.
- Put a brand new half an inch mesh screen on the top of the gutter downspout, filtering out any possible large debris such as leaves and twigs among other things.
- Replace or remove and clean the mesh screen of the rainwater tank once in a while. Make sure it’s structurally sound and ready to handle whatever nature throws at it. The screen is meant to filter smaller debris from the rain barrel, allowing you to use it with far less maintenance. It will also help keep critters and some insects from entering it as well.
- Check the condition of your rain barrel or water tank. If you notice any damage or cracks in it, then you will need to address it. Pay special attention to any algae growth as well.
- Rinse the inside of the barrel or tank by laying it on one side, thus removing the loose debris from it. If you have to scrub it, you should use a long-handled brush to get the job done. Use a mixture of water and vinegar or bleach and water to get it done. Rinse the barrel when you’re done.
Check the spigot of the barrel or tank and make sure it works, reconnect your tank and wait for rain once more. Bayswater Commercial Cleaning Service can do your house and office cleaning as often as you like.
Source: Guest post by Heather Roberts
Click on the links below for more information about JoJo Tanks products available in South Africa.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 8-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)