When it comes to polyethylene or ‘plastic’ water tanks, there are quite a few brands available in South Africa but the quality can vary widely.
Here are some pointers to help you choose the best poly water tank you can:
- Brand A well-known brand of water tank that has been on the market for 20 or more years is likely to be a winner. Avoid ‘no-name’ brands at all costs as you will be sorely disappointed by the longevity, quality and after sales service.
- Local or imported? While there may be some excellent quality imported plastic water tanks in South Africa, they may not be suited to our conditions. You also run the risk of shaky after sales service should the importer stop importation or go out of business. Support locally developed and manufactured brands of plastic water tanks, it just makes better sense.
- Moulding process There are two main types of moulding techniques when it comes making polyethylene tanks: conventional two-part (or more) moulding or rotational moulding. Inspect the tank closely; if there are any visible seams, the tank has been made in a conventional two-part mould. The problem with this is that the seam will always inherently be a weak area, prone to splits and cracks. Poly tanks that are ‘roto-moulded’ are literally one piece – there are no seams at all! Always choose rotationally moulded plastic tanks if there is a choice.
- Structural design Well-designed poly water tanks will have a series of ribs to reinforce the sides of the tank and will usually have a thicker base and lower sides to deal with the extra pressure at the bottom. Beware of poly tanks that have no reinforcing ribs, except very small tanks or drums.
- Inlets, outlets & inspection holes A good poly water tank will be made with at least one outlet and usually an inlet hole too. There should also be an inspection hole at the top with a lid supplied. Some cheaper poly tanks are supplied without any inlets or outlets so the customer must install these – not ideal.
- Guaranty Any good plastic tank should carry a warranty or guaranty – always ask before buying. If no guaranty is offered, it would be wise to avoid buying. Look for brands that offer a guaranty or warranty of more than 5 years.
- Inside liners High quality plastic tanks are made with an inner liner which is usually black to inhibit algae growth. All materials should be made from food-grade materials and be suitable for storing water for human consumption.
- Certification The best poly tanks will carry certification from an independent standards board – always request the certification.
South Africa’s JoJo Tanks poly water tanks comply with all the above and more. JoJo water tanks carry an 8-year warranty and are certified by Agrement. JoJo water tanks are roto-moulded using locally produced, food-grade raw materials and have a black anti-algae lining too. You can’t go wrong with a JoJo Tank – a trusted brand name in South Africa spanning more than 30 years; click on the links below for more information.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!