Polyethylene storage tanks are actually a very good choice for atmospheric (non-pressure) storage of liquids ranging from water to food products to aggressive chemicals such as sulfuric acid and hydrochloric acid.
Stainless steel tanks, aluminum tanks, as well as fiberglass tanks cost much more then poly tanks. The seamless structure of poly tanks provides a strong, long-lasting storage tank.
Plastic tanks are light-weight – often much less than half the weight of steel tanks, so handling and installation is easy. Plastic tanks have excellent impact- and chemical resistance so that they will not rust or corrode.
Polyethylene tanks are also known as:
- Plastic Tanks
- Poly Tanks
- PE Tanks
Quality plastic storage tanks are made of 100% virgin FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved resins so they are an excellent storage solution for drinking water, food and cosmetic products, and high purity chemicals. Good quality poly tanks are moulded utilizing Ultra-violet (UV) inhibitors, so direct sunlight won’t degrade them for a very long time.
Linear HDPE Tanks vs Crosslink Polyethylene Tanks
New High Density Linear Polyethylene Resins, Linear HDPE (Heavy Duty Polyethylene) have been under-going continuous evolution and improvements whereas Crosslink Polyethylene Resins technology has become static. Great advances in plastic tank manufacture have been made in the past two decades. During the 1980’s crosslink was in greater use than linear but now linear HDPE tanks are superior to crosslink PE tanks, especially when aggressive chemicals are stored in the tanks. Linear HDPE tanks can also be repaired by plastic welding whereas the older crosslink types cannot.
Some interesting facts about plastic tanks:
- Well over 900 million pounds of all resins were used last year industry-wide.
- Less than 5 % of the above was used for crosslink tanks.
- Half of the above 5% was used to mould tanks along with bladders for oil, hydraulic fluid and gasoline which is the most common use for crosslink technology.
- Crosslink resin use is declining each year as many manufacturers switch to linear HDPE. The market for crosslink is mainly in the auto and tractor industry to contain petroleum products.
- Chemical storage tanks don’t require crosslink resin and with a few of exceptions, all chemical tank applications have moved to linear HDPE tanks.
- Sulfuric Acid along with Sodium Hypochlorite are two of the most commonly stored chemicals in PE tanks. Crosslink resin tanks lose impact resistance, tensile strength and ductility when used with the aforementioned chemicals.
- New linear HDPE resins have significantly greater UV resistance than crosslink and the life expectancy of linear HDPE tanks is usually much longer compared to crosslink tanks.
Source: Article Content Directory (By Mark Peabody) Edited
JoJo Tanks’ chemical tanks are rust resistant and are made of the best quality raw food grade materials, so they comply with the Food & Drug Administration specifications (and South Africa’s SABS) that guarantee your safety when used for water or foodstuff. This also ensure that JoJo chemical tanks retain their wall integrity and do not contaminate stored chemicals. JoJo tanks are UV-treated on the outside so as not to be discoloured by the harsh African sun. JoJo chemical tanks are available in medium duty (SG 1.4) and heavy duty (SG 1.6) (see What does SG mean? & FAQ). JoJo chemical tanks are available in white/natural, yellow and blue tint.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands. See JoJo Tanks VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS. Also see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products the best choice in South Africa. JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 LITRE JOJO WATER TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks also available on order)