- The water tank is made of polyethylene. It must be handled with care. Avoid sliding on rough & sharp surfaces. Lift the water tank when moving into position.
- WATER TANK SITE MUST BE SMOOTH & LEVEL. Cleared of all rocks, stones sticks and sharp objects that may damage base of water tanks.
- Site must be solid and compacted ground especially if fill is to be used.
- Rainwater tanks can be placed on a level concrete slab with a smooth finish. Avoid rough screeding.
- Concrete slab must be level reinforced and thick enough with diameter greater than tank to support weight of tank when full. If in doubt, consult engineer.
- Water tanks can be placed on level bed of packing sand 100mm thick and retained 300mm greater in diameter to avoid undermining from wind, water or vermin.
- Water tank stands can be used but must be designed by a consulting engineer.
- A 300mm flexible pipe should be installed after the ball valve tap to minimise strain on rainwater tank and tank fittings.
- Water tank overflow should be piped away from the water tank.
Source: Rainwater Storage Tank
Always ensure that your water tanks & rainwater tanks are installed as per tank manufacturer’s guidelines; here are some water tank installation tips from JoJo Tanks (South Africa):
The following tips/guidelines are provided to assist you or your installer. These tips must be read/used in conjunction with the JoJo Tanks Guarantee.
- A robust base of at least 2 cm larger than the base of the tank (no polyethylene tank should “hang” over its base)
- The base must be smooth, in the sense that no sharp stones or hard objects should be in the concrete mixture where it pushes through the surface (it could push a hole through the tanks base when it is full)
- It is recommended that the concrete base be at least 150mm thick ( a 5 000 lt tank holds 5 tons of water!)
- Any brick/concrete block type of product used to manufacture the bases should be allowed to set/dry (the mortar between) for at least 36-48 hours before filling in with the concrete base
- Rubble or sabunga used to fill in the constructed base must be properly stamped in, using the right tool/compactor/heavy stamper (human weight is insufficient to compact the rubble/sabunga)
- The base must be spirit level, not one side lower than the other
- Should lip-channel or beams be used, ensure that the material is treated with an approved product to prolong its life. The gaps between the lip-channel or beams should be no larger than 50mm (5 cm)
Steel tank stands are a professional alternative to concrete tank platforms. Beware of steel tank stands that are not designed and approved by a registered engineer; a failed tank stand can present a severe danger to people and property. JoJo Tanks supply steel tank stands that are certified by engineers and are available for water tanks up to 10000 litres. JoJo steel tank stands are available in various heights, click here to see tank stand specifications.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands. See JoJo Tanks VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS, STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS. Also see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products the best choice in South Africa. JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 LITRE WATER TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!