Detailed list of water saving tips for schools, colleges & universities presented below. These should also include rainwater harvesting tanks & greywater recycling. South Africa’s learners should be educated about water conservation, especially as we live in a water scarce country. Rain water tanks are an excellent visual aid to education in this regard and could save learning institutions significant amounts off the municipal water bills.
- Increase employee, faculty, and student awareness of water conservation.
- Conduct contests for employees and students (e.g., posters, slogans, or conservation ideas).
- Seek employee suggestions on water conservation; locate suggestion boxes in prominent areas.
- Install signs in all restrooms encouraging water conservation.
- When cleaning with water is necessary, use budgeted amounts.
- Read water meter weekly to monitor success of water conservation efforts.
- Assign an employee to monitor water use and waste.
- Determine the quantity and purpose of water being used.
- Determine other methods of water conservation.
- Check water supply system for leaks.
- Turn off any unnecessary flows.
- Repair dripping faucets, showers and continuously running or leaking toilets.
- Install flow reducers and faucet aerators in all plumbing fixtures whenever possible.
- Reduce the water used in toilet flushing by either adjusting the vacuum flush mechanism or installing toilet tank displacement devices (dams, bottles, or bags).
- As appliances or fixtures wear out, replace them with water-saving models.
- Shut off water supply to equipment rooms not in use.
- Minimize the water used in cooling equipment, such as air compressors, in accordance with the manufacturer recommendations.
- Reduce the load on air conditioning units by shutting air conditioning off when and where it is not needed.
- Keep hot water pipes insulated.
- Avoid excessive boiler and air conditioner blow down. Monitor total dissolved solids levels and blow down only when needed.
- Instruct clean-up crew to use less water for mopping.
- Change window cleaning schedule from periodic to an on-call/as required basis.
KITCHEN AND LAUNDRY AREAS
- Turn off the continuous flow used to clean the drain trays of the coffee/milk/soda beverage island; clean the trays only as needed.
- Turn dishwasher off when not in use. Wash full loads only.
Replace spray heads to reduce water flow.
- Recycle rinse water from the dishwater or recirculate it to the garbage disposal.
Do not use running water to melt ice or frozen foods. If necessary, use ponded water.
- Use water-conserving ice makers.
Presoak utensils and dishes in ponded water instead of using a running water rinse.
- Wash vegetables in ponded water; do not let water run in preparation sink.
Use water from steam tables in place of fresh water to wash down the cooking area.
- Reprogram machines to eliminate a rinse or suds cycle, if possible, and if not restricted by health regulations.
- Only wash full loads of clothes.
- Evaluate wash formula and machine cycles for water use efficiency.
- Channel splashed-out pool water into landscaping.
- Lower pool water to reduce amount of water splashed out.
- Use a pool cover to reduce evaporation when pool is not being used. Reduce amount of water used to clean pool filters.
- Inventory outdoor water use for landscaped areas.
- Water landscape only when needed; two-to-three times a week is usually sufficient. Do not water landscape every day.
- Wash autos, buses, and trucks less often.
- Discontinue using water to clean sidewalks, driveways, loading docks, and parking lots. Consider using brooms or motorized sweepers.
- Avoid landscaped fertilizing and pruning stimulating excessive growth.
- Remove weeds unhealthy plants so remaining plants can benefit from the water saved.
In many cases, older, established plants require only infrequent irrigation. Look for indications of water need, such as wilting, change of color, or dry soils.
- Install soil moisture overrides or timers on sprinkler systems.
- Time watering, when possible, to occur in the early morning or evening when evaporation is lowest.
- Make sure irrigation equipment applies water uniformly. Investigate the advantages of installing drip irrigation systems.
- Mulch around plants reducing evaporation and discouraging weeds.
- Remove thatch and aerate turf encouraging movement of water to the root zone.
- Avoid runoff and make sure sprinklers cover just the lawn or garden, not sidewalks, driveways, or gutters.
- Do not water on windy days.
If you are in South Africa and need a water tank or rainwater tank, look no further; JoJo Tanks offer a huge range of types, sizes and colours of water tanks, chemical tanks, silo tanks and other products such as septic tanks, underground tanks & steel tank stands. Click on the links below for more information.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 8-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)