This article written about rainwater tanks is in the Australian context. Fortunately there are not as many rules and regulations when it comes to rainwater tanks & harvesting in South Africa. Contrary to what the article states, rainwater from your rainwater tank can be used for drinking water but it must be filtered first. Similar to Australia, is South Africa’s looming water crisis; all South Africans should consider rainwater tank installation in this water scarce country.
Collecting and using rainwater is a positive way of reducing water usage. Before installing a rainwater tank, there are some important factors to consider.
A planning permit is generally only required if the site is covered by a Boroondara Planning Scheme Overlay. Domestic rainwater tanks only require a building permit if the water tank will be supported by an existing building, or is on a tank stand.
Water tanks must be fitted with an overflow pipe of the same diameter as the inlet pipe, and must be connected to the stormwater system at a legal point of discharge.
- Rainwater collected in water tanks is not suitable for drinking because it can contain contaminants from collection surfaces.
- Tanks must be sealed to prevent risk to small children and to keep insects, vermin and other animals out.
- If a rainwater tank is part of other building works, or is supported by another structure, it is permitted to project into the minimum setback from a side boundary by 500mm.
- Tanks up to 3m high should be a minimum of 500mm from any side boundary.
- Freestanding tanks should not be located forward of the existing building line.
- You should leave a gap of at least 500mm between a tank and any side boundary to allow access for maintenance.
- Stored water should be kept free of contaminants: leaves, atmospheric pollution, animal/bird droppings and other matter.
- The water tank must be professionally designed and manufactured using corrosion resistant, non-toxic materials.
- Water tanks should be installed by a licensed plumber.
- Any support tank stands must be professionally designed and constructed to meet structural regulations and manufacturer’s recommendations, which will form part of your Building Permit application.
JoJo water tanks are certified for storing potable water for human consumption and are guaranteed for 8 years making JoJo Tanks liquid storage tanks one of the best choices in South Africa. JoJo’s steel tank stands are also designed and certified by a registered structural engineer. Click on the links below to view the various JoJo water tanks, chemical tanks, septic tanks, underground tanks, silo tanks, silo tank stands, water tank stands and more.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 8-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)