There are advantages and disadvantages of both plastic or polyethylene water tanks and steel water tanks. Here are some points to consider before buying:
Advantages of plastic water tanks
- Generally, poly tanks are less expensive than steel tanks; even the highest quality polyethylene tanks (such as those made by JoJo Tanks in South Africa) are still comparatively cheaper than similar sized galvanised steel tanks and much cheaper than stainless steel tanks.
- Plastic tanks are lighter than steel tanks and are therefore easier and less expensive to transport.
- When it comes to installation, plastic water tanks are generally easier to manoeuvre and require less labour to install when compared with steel water tanks. This makes installation less costly.
- High quality, rotational-moulded poly tanks like JoJo water tanks have a similar service life expectancy when compared to galvanised steel tanks.
- Plastic water tanks are available in a wider range of shapes, types and sizes.
- Aesthetically, plastic water tanks can be better than steel water tanks as a wide range of different coloured plastic tanks are available. This makes plastic tanks easier to blend with the surrounding environment and comply with building codes where certain colours are specified or prohibited.
- Polyethylene tanks are basically inert and do not react with most chemicals or salts that may be found in the water (even so-called ‘stainless’ steel tanks can react with certain salts and chemicals).
- Rotational-moulded or ‘roto-moulded’ poly tanks, such as JoJo tanks, are made from one piece and therefore there or no seams to crack or split. Steel tanks are usually made with panels – the joins are inevitably weak areas and the first to corrode.
Advantages of steel water tanks
- Stainless steel water tanks will probably have a longer service life (although at a much increased initial cost when compared to a good quality poly water tank).
- Steel water tanks are fire-resistant – perhaps an important advantage where bush fires are common.
- Being far heavier than poly water tanks, steel water tanks are a more difficult target for thieves.
- Steel tanks are more difficult to vandalise or damage compared to plastic tanks
As can be seen from the above points, a good quality polyethylene water tank has many more advantages than a steel water tank (even when compared to expensive stainless steel water tanks). This is why we recommend plastic water tanks, chemical tanks, septic tanks, underground tanks and silo tanks manufactured by JoJo Tanks South Africa. Click on the links below to view the range of JoJo Tanks products available, including engineer-certified steel tank stands and silo tank stands.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 8-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)