Greywater is often overlooked as a potential source of useful water. When greywater systems are combined with rainwater harvesting tanks, a household or business can, in some cases, become virtually water self-sufficient. Here are a few facts and tips about grey water.
Greywater is wastewater from a range of sources including your bath, bathroom basin, laundry and shower. It doesn’t include blackwater such as wastewater from toilets.
A greywater system enables you to re-use greywater from your home. The average household can re-use around 1,500 litres of greywater each week.
There are simple and complex systems, but they all involve reusing water that would otherwise be lost. Some systems involve storing the water and treating it to remove impurities.
There are three ways that greywater can be used:
- Manual bucketing. Collect water from your shower or washing machine in a bucket and use it on the garden. You won’t need council permission to do this.
- Diversion and filtration devices. Divert greywater to your garden or lawn with a system that uses plumbing and/or hoses to take the greywater outside. Some systems may use a filter and pump and a water tank. In some states and territories you may only be able to use untreated greywater for sub-surface irrigation. Check with the relevant government department or your local council for licensed devices and approvals.
- Treatment and re-use systems. These systems treat water to a standard fit for household use. This water can be used for toilet flushing, washing clothes and above-ground irrigation. Requires local council approval (depending on where in the world you are).
Greywater Do’s and Don’ts
- Wash your hands after watering with greywater
- Use garden-friendly cleaning products that are biodegradable and are free from or low in sodium and phosphorous
- Pipe greywater underground or under mulch to water your garden
- Irrigate your ornamentals and orchards, making sure greywater is not in direct contact with fruit
- Regularly check your greywater system is working properly
- Divert greywater to the sewer during wet periods
- Stop using greywater if someone in the household is sick
- Check your state and local regulations
- Use a licensed plumber to install your system
- Avoid clogged soil by using a coarse filter to reduce the amount of solids in your greywater
- Make sure you contain greywater within your property
- Store untreated greywater in water tanks or other storage containers for more than 24 hours
- Use greywater to water vegetables and herbs that are to be eaten raw or partly cooked
- Use greywater sourced from washing nappies or soiled clothes
- Use greywater that has disinfectants and bleaches in it
- Use greywater from kitchens, unless it has been treated
- Use greywater that is still hot as it will kill beneficial organisms in the soil
- Spray or hose greywater
- Allow pets to drink greywater.
Source: LivingGreener (edited)
Whether you need water tanks for grey water or rainwater harvesting systems or for other liquids such as fuel and chemicals, JoJo Tanks of South Africa is sure to have the right polyethylene storage tank for your requirements; click on the links below for more information.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!