In South Africa where water scarcity is a daily reality for many, it should become second nature to save water wherever possible.
It should not take too much convincing to show that installing rain water tanks is very worthwhile but here are 10 reasons:
- Rainwater is FREE! Don’t you want free water? Rainwater tanks and rainwater harvesting can save you on your water bills. In some cases, it may be possible to become totally water self-sufficient, depending on local rainfall patterns, roof surface area and number of water tanks installed.
- In some towns and cities in South Africa, municipal water supply disruptions and quality issues are becoming the norm. By having your own supply of rainwater stored in water tanks, you are not at the mercy of these problems and having your own water supply can prevent much inconvenience.
- In times of water restrictions (common in the winter months in South Africa), a supply of your own water stored in water tanks (and clearly marked for inspectors to see) will allow you to irrigate you garden and lawn, top up your pool, wash the car – all uses that would normally be disallowed under municipal water restrictions.
- Even if you harvest rainwater purely for irrigation, this has advantages over chemical-laden municipal water. Plants have been shown to positively respond to rainwater – growing quicker and generally being more healthy than those watered with municipal water. Of course, your rainwater is also free, so no worrying about water bills while you irrigate.
- Worried about what they put in municipal water? You should be! Many smaller municipal water works seem to have a very unprofessional attitude to amounts of chemicals added to ‘make the water safe’. High chlorine levels can be detrimental to human health. If you have your own rainwater supply, you know exactly where it’s from and how it will be treated (rainwater should be appropriately filtered/purified for drinking purposes).
- Taking a bath or shower in municipal water can be a very unpleasant experience – not only the ‘hard’ water being difficult to work up a lather but chemicals such as chlorine can be absorbed through the skin. Rainwater is very soft and has to be experienced in a bath or shower to be appreciated.
- Fire hazards are serious in the dry season in some areas of South Africa; having a full rainwater tank may save your property from a fire sweeping through the area.
- Rainwater harvesting systems increase property value. Even a professionally and neatly installed water tank for storing municipal water will add value to the property. While many look at how long it will take to make a rainwater harvesting system to ‘pay for itself’, not many factor in the value this will add to a building if it is placed on the market one day.
- Do you like to be seen as ‘green’ and environmentally conscious? A rainwater harvesting system and water tanks clearly shows your friends and neighbours that you are.
- Rainwater harvesting is good for the environment! In built-up areas, rainwater harvesting results in less stormwater runoff. This means less pollution being washed off roads and yards into local waterways and reduces streambank erosion by reducing the unnatural volume of water entering nearby streams and rivers.
Rainwater tanks should be chosen carefully- choose good quality water tanks to protect your investment. We recommend JoJo Tanks products; click on the links below to view the wide range of JoJo water tanks and other high quality JoJo Tanks products available in South Africa.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!