Polyethylene or plastic water tanks have a number of advantages over steel, fibreglass and concrete tanks; one of them being that they are much easier to transport.
However, there are a few things that need to be considered in order to transport your poly water tank safely and securely.
- Type of vehicle: poly water tanks are relatively light but they are bulky and the right type of vehicle must be used to transport the tank. This will depend on the size of the tank but the average pick-up or ‘bakkie’ can usually accommodate vertical water tanks up to the size of about 6000 litres. Bigger tanks such as the 10000 litre tank will need a small truck with a flatbed load bin. Really large tanks such as the 15000 litre and 20000 litre tanks will need a large truck.
- Loading: ensure that the poly tank is carefully lifted – usually two people are required to easily lift the average 5000 litre water tank weighing about 75kg. The tank can be carefully rolled up to the waiting vehicle but ensure there are no sharp objects that may pierce the tank walls.
- Positioning the tank: tanks on the back of vehicles will create substantial wind resistance so it is usually best to position the water tank on its side so that there is less tank surface area protruding above the vehicle’s roof.
- Securing the tank: ropes, tie-downs or cargo nets can be used to secure the water tank to the back of the vehicle. Ensure that all knots are double-checked and that loose rope is tucked away. Many poly tanks are made with lugs and ribs- use these to your advantage when securing the tank.
- Vehicle speed: for safety reasons, vehicle speed should probably be kept to between 80km/h and 100km/m (max). As speed increase so does wind resistance and the potential for the tank to be blown off the back of the vehicle if the ropes fail or a knot becomes undone. A 5000 litre or 10000 litre water tank bouncing around a highway could cause serious accidents to those following the vehicle.
- Traffic rules: ensure that all traffic rules are complied with, especially if there is excessive overhang or the height exceeds normal loads (check your local traffic regulations).
Many water tank dealers will be able to offer transport – if possible, go this route even if there is a delivery charge (they are familiar with transporting poly water tanks safely and efficiently).
We are usually able to arrange free delivery to business/commercial addresses with wide tar road access for long 22m delivery vehicles. Click on the links below to view the wide range of JoJo poly water tanks, JoJo chemical tanks, JoJo septic t tanks, JoJo silo tanks, JoJo steel water tank stands and other high quality JoJo Tanks products proudly made in South Africa.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!