Underground water tanks can be used for storing rainwater, municipal water borehole water and water from other sources. In some cases underground water tanks are a better option compared to the standard above-ground water tanks.
Underground tanks are the answer when space and accessibility are an issue – especially in an urban environment. They have also become an increasingly popular option for architects and building designers as an underground water storage system allows for the maximum use of property, allowing for more green space and/or parking on a tight commercial site.
Professionally installed, they can be placed under paved light weight traffic areas, driveways, garden beds or lawns providing an eco-friendly and aesthetically pleasing solution for rainwater capture and rainwater harvesting.
More advantages of underground tanks:
- Out of sight (some find above-ground water tanks to be an eyesore)
- Safer from fire and other environmental disasters
- They keep water cool – important for hot countries such as South Africa
- They keep water from freezing – important in colder countries (the surrounding earth has an insulating effect)
- Safer from vandalism and theft (not surprisingly, lightweight aboveground polyethylene water tanks have become a target for thieves in South Africa – water tanks are very much in demand in rural areas)
Some disadvantages of underground water tanks:
- A pump will always be needed to extract the stored water from the underground tank (above-ground tanks, strategically placed, sometimes can rely on gravity alone to get the water to where it is needed)
- Limited range of sizes/capacities (JoJo Tanks only offer one size underground water tank – the 6000 litre underground tank rated for storing potable water)
- Cost – underground tanks have been designed to withstand pressure from the surrounding earth; the extra reinforcements (usually thick ribbing) push the cost up
- Installation costs are also usually considerably more than standard above ground vertical water tanks
Underground water tanks have their place and should be carefully considered after the advantages and disadvantages are weighed up. Click on the links below to find out more about the JoJo 6000 litre underground water tank as well as the various other water tanks, chemical tanks, septic tanks, conservancy tanks, silo tanks, silo tank stands, water tank stands and other high quality JoJo Tanks products.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 8-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!