There are a bewildering array of polyethylene or ‘plastic’ water tanks, chemical tanks, silo tanks, septic tanks and underground tanks; here are some pointers to help you choose a high quality poly tank.
- Is it a brand that you have heard of? One should always do some research about the various brands of poly tanks available in the area (the internet is a great help). A ‘no-name’ brand will usually be the cheapest option but certainly not always a wise purchase.
- Does the tank manufacturer/supplier offer any kind of guarantee or warranty? The cheapest plastic water tanks will likely have no guarantee but in many cases will not even last a year (especially in the harsh African climate). Better brands may offer a year’s guarantee but this is still not very confident; it is a sizeable investment so one should expect long service life. Try to purchase poly tanks that have a guarantee/warranty of at least 5 years.
- Are the poly tanks locally produced or imported? A locally backed product will usually be the better option. Imported brands of larger tanks would need to be made especially cheaply to compete with local products (after the freight, import & customs duties).
- Is the supplier of the tank an authorised dealer or agent? Be careful of ‘fly-by-night’ businesses and, if in doubt, do some background checks as to whether the supplier is an official dealer. Even the best tank with a great guarantee can usually only receive after sales service from a dealer who is authorised to sell the tank.
- Has the plastic tank been designed for local conditions? It is of no use choosing a water tank that has good cold-weather features unless you live in such an area. Features such as UV protection, anti-algae linings, etc should be ticked off. Cheaper plastic tanks with no built-in UV protection quickly perish and crack in our harsh African climate.
- Has the polyethylene tank been designed appropriately? Poly tanks need to be properly designed and engineered to withstand constant outward pressure when full. The appropriate size and number of reinforcing/strengthening ribs should be present. Beware of smooth-sided poly tanks especially 5000 litre, 10000 litre and higher capacity tanks – a lack of reinforcement in the design could mean a very short service life.
- Is the poly tank roto-moulded (rotationally moulded)? Inferior poly tanks are made with traditional moulds, i.e. in two or more pieces that are joined together. An obvious giveaway are seams that often run longitudinally. These tanks are prone to split or crack along those seams. Better plastic tanks are manufactured using the roto-moulding process which produces a much stronger and durable product (no seams at all).
- Is the polyethylene tank made from food-grade material? ‘Polyethylene’ is a broad term and the type and quality of this ‘plastic’ can vary enormously. Where water tanks are sought, it is important to ensure that the tanks are rated for storing water for human consumption. Some cheap plastic tanks can leach harmful chemicals into the stored water.
If you are in South Africa, you are in luck as there is a brand that ticks all the right boxes – JoJo Tanks. JoJo vertical and horizontal water tanks carry an 8-year warranty (industry leading in South Africa); have an inner black, food-safe, anti-algae lining; have built-in UV-protection; made from FDA-approved food-grade virgin polyethylene; are a known & trusted brand with over 30 years of manufacturing experience in South Africa.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 8-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!