There is no definite answer as to what material is best for the construction of tank stands but here are some facts that make us recommend steel water tank stands most of the time.
- Steel tank stands do not rot or disintegrate like timber tank stands can
- Structures made from steel can be more precisely built to withstand loads whereas wood structures harbour some inconsistencies making it difficult for engineers to calculate exact load-bearing figures
- A well-coated and maintained steel tank stand is likely to outlast timber tank stands which are susceptible to natural ageing processes as well as environmental influences, including attack from insects
- Steel tank stands do not cause as much wind resistance compared to timber and concrete structures
- Tank stands made from steel can be made available in kit form with consistent weight and dimensions (concrete stand ‘kits’ are probably not feasible and timber tank stand kits could be bulky and not as consistent as steel tank stand kits)
- Likewise the ease and cost of transporting sections of steel tank stands is superior compared to transporting the materials needed for concrete and timber tank stands
- The ease of erecting steel tank stands over timber & concrete stands is also advantageous. Steel tank stands supplied in kit form with instructions can probably allow a relatively unskilled labourer to erect the stand whereas building skills are needed for concrete/brick tank stands and timber tank stands require some thought into the design and construction too
- Steel tank stands can be made less obtrusive than concrete and timber tank stands
- When you purchased a certified, engineer-designed and manufactured steel tank stand, you can be assured that the stand is properly rated for the tank it is designed to carry and that it will give many years of trouble-free service.
So while there are some situations where timber tank stands and concrete tank stands may be preferable, in most cases a good quality steel water tank stand will be the best choice. In South Africa we recommend steel tank stands manufactured by JoJo Tanks – designed and built by a registered structural engineer and available for 5000 litre tank & 10000 litre tanks in the following heights: 1.5m, 3m, 4.5m, 6m & 9m. Click on the links below to view the range of other JoJo Tanks products available in South Africa.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!