Algae growth in water tanks can become a problem, especially in hot climates. Algae in a water tank is not only a nuisance but can affect the water quality (taste and safety).
Here are some ways to inhibit or slow down algae growth in water tanks:
- Probably the most important and effective tip is to ensure that you buy a water tank that has a black, smooth inner liner (high quality polyethylene tanks are usually made with this lining buy always check before buying). The black colour reduces light penetration – algae thrives wherever there is light.
- Buy a dark-coloured water tank – less light penetration will mean slower algae growth. In very hot areas where the tank is exposed to full sun, a dark tank e.g. black will heat up more than a lighter tank. Algae also thrive on heat so if you choose a very dark colour and live in a hot area, perhaps choose a lighter shade such as green or brown (and ensure there is a black inner lining too).
- Heat stimulates algae growth. In very hot climates, try to position the water tank or water tanks in the shade (this will also result in less direct sunlight).
- When it is not possible to position the water tank in the shade, it may be helpful to cover the tank with material, a tarpaulin or natural items such as reeds or grass. This will reduce the water temperature as well as light penetration.
- Vegetation such as creepers can be planted around the water tank and allowed to cover the tank.
- Ensure that there are not manholes or other openings that could allow light or debris into the water tank.
- Regular cleaning intervals will also help to prevent algae from establishing and flourishing in the water tank.
- Certain chemicals can be added to a water tank to kill off and inhibit algae growth but ensure that the water from the tank is adequately filtered to remove any chemicals, especially if the water is to be used for drinking.
- Filtration systems can also help to remove the loose algae in the water.
- Choosing a water tank that has a very smooth inside will also help to limit algae establishment as well as making it much easier to clean. Rotational-moulded polyethylene or plastic water tanks have not seams (which could be rough and ideal for initial algae establishment) and are usually very smooth inside.
- In the case of extremely hot environs, an underground water tank may be the best solution – being buried underground ensures that no light reaches the stored water and the water temperature is also lower (being insulated by the surrounding earth).
All genuine JoJo water tanks are made with a food-grade inner black lining that inhibits algae growth and keeps the water fresher for longer. Click on the links below to view the wide range of water tanks, rainwater tanks, chemical tanks, septic tanks, silo tanks, tank stands and other high quality products made by JoJo Tanks South Africa.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!