Water tanks come in a huge range of types, sizes and materials; the article below briefly outlines some facts and tips.
When you choose a new water tank, you should look for one that is cost-effective yet of good quality and with a reasonably long service lifespan. Water tanks are used for storing drinking water, farming, irrigation purposes and more. Since drinking water can be susceptible to pH changes, algae, bacteria, viruses and chemical contaminants, water tanks isolate it from the outside world and store it safely until needed. The various types of tanks are as follows:
- Chemical contact tanks are made of NSF and FDA polyethylene, allowing some retention time for chemicals, filtering out harmful substances in the process. They also allow more retention time for chemical treatments of the water inside.
- Ground water tanks are often made of good, lined carbon steel and they receive their water intake from the surface or water wells. They can be used to store large amounts of water.
- Water towers, also known as elevated water tanks can be a perfect solution in low water pressure areas. They work for a number of industrial and domestic needs across the board.
- Vertical cylinder dome top tanks are a very simple, yet very useful design which allows one to hold anywhere from fifty to millions of gallons of water.
- Hydro-pneumatic tanks are horizontal and pressurised, which allows for an easy delivery of water through a distribution system.
Water tanks also come in a wide range of materials, each with its own uses and benefits. The most common ones are as follows:
- Polyethylene tanks are usually made of food grade material if used for storing potable water. Poly water tanks are cost-effective and can last a long time, allowing a less expensive water tank solution compared to tanks made from other materials. Polyethylene water tanks can be recycled when they reach the end of their service life. Underground polyethylene water tanks are also available.
- Collapsible pillow tanks as well as water bags are a cheap and useful alternative for industrial, commercial and residential needs. They are often made from heavy-duty fabrics.
- Galvanised steel water tanks use hot dip galvanizing to coat the steel with zinc. It helps slow down corrosion and extend the life of the tank, but in most cases they rarely last past five years due to the process of electrolysis, which can be severe, depending on the quality of water and environmental conditions. Stainless steel water tanks are also available and these are less prone to corrosion but much more expensive.
- Fiberglass tanks last a long time, with the added benefit of installation both below and above ground (NB only if rated for underground use). They are great at resisting corrosion and chemicals and lighter than most other materials (except for plastic tanks). Fiberglass tanks tend to allow light in to the water and must be treated due to the danger of algae growth. Fibreglass tanks can become brittle and prone to cracking as they age.
- Concrete water tanks can be built above ground or hidden underground, but they usually must be built on site due to their weight and bulk. The inner walls need to be properly sealed to prevent minerals from seeping into the water.
For removals tips, please visit: Home and office removals
Source: Guest post by Susan Papes (Susan is a 28 year old mother of the little John. Being a full-time mother and a housewife, she became an expert when it comes to cleaning, washing, keeping the house clean and tidy and etc. At the end of the day she feels devastated but satisfied for taking care of her beloved).
We recommend polyethylene water tanks manufactured by JoJo Tanks in South Africa. JoJo water tanks are made from food grade polyethylene and have a special inner black lining to inhibit algae growth. All JoJo water tanks carry a warranty of 8 years. Click on the links below for more information.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!