So you have ascertained what storage capacity you require; should you buy a number of small water tanks or just one or two large water tanks?
Advantages of installing many smaller water tanks
- Sometimes cost is a factor; for example three 5000 litre poly tanks will generally be less expensive than buying one 15000 litre water tank. The same would apply in the case of two 10000 litre poly water tanks compared to a single 20000 litre poly water tank.
- Having a few smaller water tanks allows some leeway with regards to positioning water supply in different areas, for example, a building with separate/detached sections can have a number of rainwater tanks located in different areas of the property.
- Small water tanks are generally much lower in height than large water tanks – an important consideration when it comes to rainwater harvesting – tank height needs to be low enough to fit under the eaves and gutters.
- If for some reason, contaminated water enters one small water tank amongst many, it is easy to isolate and clean out while water in other small tanks is unaffected and need not be drained. In the case of one large water tank, all the water would need to be drained, potentially leaving a building without water supply for a while.
- Small water tanks are easier to handle, transport and install. An average 5000 litre plastic or polyethylene water tank weighs about 80kg whereas 15000 litre and 20000 litre poly water tanks can weigh a few hundred kilograms, requiring a team of people to move them.
Advantages of installing one or a few large water tanks
- Space may be an important factor when determining how many water tanks can be installed in a restricted area. For example if storage capacity of 20000 litres is required and there is only limited space available, four average 5000 liter vertical water tanks will have a footprint of approximately 4mx4m whereas a single 20000 liter vertical water tank of typical dimensions will have a footprint of roughly 2.7mx2.7m (the square coming from the concrete base).
- It may not be feasible to store water in many small separate water tanks, for example where tanks are placed on tank stands for pressure – a single 10000 liter water tank on a single stand may actually be more cost effective than placing two 5000 liter water tanks on two separate tank stands (when one considers the cost of steel water tank stands and the extra installation hours for erecting two tank stands).
- In very hot or very cold areas, a larger body of water will resist extreme temperature fluctuations than water in small water tanks.
- Aesthetically, it may be better to have a single large water tank rather than a whole lot of small water tanks all over the place (e.g. one 20000 litre water tank instead of eight 2500 litre water tanks).
JoJo Tanks in South Africa manufacture a very wide range of types and sizes of water tanks, chemical tanks, septic tanks, conservancy tanks, silo tanks and other high quality polyethylene products in addition engineer-certified steel water tank stands and steel silo tank stands. Click on the links below for more information.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!