When choosing a water tank intended for storing drinking water, buy a good quality, known brand name water tank to ensure your stored drinking water remains uncontaminated and safe to drink.
Here are some things to look out for when choosing a water tank or rainwater tank:
- Is the brand name of the water tank well-known and is a guarantee offered? No-name brand tanks should generally be avoided.
- What type of material has been used to manufacture the water tank? There are many good water tanks made from steel, stainless steel, fibreglass and various polyethylene materials. Some mild steel tanks can corrode on the inside if not properly coated and sometimes the coating used can be toxic. Roughly made fibreglass tanks could result in shedding of fine fibreglass strands which could also be hazardous to health.
- Most polyethylene tanks or plastic tanks are more or less inert and will not react with minerals in the stored water. However, beware of very cheap plastic tanks – the type of polymer used may be unstable and may leach harmful chemicals into the stored water.
- Is the water tank light-coloured or slightly transparent? Water tanks that let light into the inside of the tank will result in algae growth which could contaminate the quality and taste of the stored water.
- Is there a food-grade inner lining to prevent algae growth? Tank linings prevent or inhibit algae growth – especially important if the tank positioned in full sun. Tank linings can also prevent chemicals leaching from tank walls into the store water. Be sure that the water tank you choose has an inner lining or coating.
- When comparing polyethylene water tanks, check if there are any seams present. Cheaper poly tanks are often made in a two-part mould resulting in a seam – these are prone to cracking or splitting, especially if the wall material is very thin too. Good quality poly water tanks are manufactured using a rotational moulding process which does not result in any seams. ‘Roto-moulded’ plastic water tanks are thus inherently stronger and do not have seams that are potentially weak points.
- Does the water tank comply with recognised industry standards? Ask whether the water tank has any certification and/or approval from government or independent bodies. Cheap, imported water tanks often do not carry any certification – you don’t know what you are buying.
In South Africa we recommend water tanks and other products manufactured by JoJo Tanks. JoJo vertical and horizontal water tanks have a black food-grade (FDA-approved) lining that inhibits algae growth and keeps stored water fresher for longer. JoJo water tanks are also guaranteed for 8 years and service life can extend to 15 or more years, depending on local conditions. JoJo water tanks were also one of the first brands to be certified by Agrement and also comply with minimum specifications required by government. Click on the links below to view the wide range of high quality yet affordable JoJo Tanks products available in South Africa.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!