Here are some handy tips from Dave Boulle of Mason Complete Office Solutions for a greener day at work.
- Turn off lights, computers, printers, photocopiers when they are not in use. Especially at night, but also in unused offices and rooms.
- Set your computers, printer and electrical devices to the optimal energy efficient settings.
- Invest in energy efficient devices (those with the Energy Star compliant logo).
- Drink water instead of tea or coffee. It is also healthier for you.
- If you insist on that cup of coffee, substitute one or more cups with a cup or two of water.
- When you do boil the kettle, boil just enough water for the number of cups of tea or coffee you are making.
- Open a window when it is hot and let the cool air flow in rather than use an air conditioner.
- Replace CRT monitors with flat screen monitors as they use less electricity.
- Walk between the floors rather than catching the lift. Walking will also improve your health and keep you fit.
- Use energy efficient light bulbs to reduce the use of electricity.
- File documents electronically and ensure that they are backed up regularly.
- Print on both sides of the paper.
- Invest in duplex printers and copiers that can print both sides automatically.
- Cycle or walk to work. Try this on one day a month. Schedule that day to be in the office, leave home early to avoid the traffic and feel refreshed when you get in.
- Share cars with people who live and work close by. Joining a lift club will increase your social circle as well.
- Travel outside of peak traffic by working at home.
- Invest in video- and telephone-conferencing rather than fly to a business meeting.
- Co-ordinate your trips around necessary business meetings and schedule back-to-back meetings to reduce inefficient travelling backwards and forwards.
IMPACT ON THE ENVIRONMENT
- Buy ‘green’ office stationery that is made from recycled and environmentally friendly materials.
- Use green office cleaning materials which are less harmful to the environment.
- Print on recycled paper or paper that has been made from wood from FSC-approved plantations and forests.
- Invest in real plants for the office to increase the output of oxygen and the absorption of carbon dioxide.
- Don’t print unless you absolutely have to. Print in ‘draft’ mode for internal documents.
- Fit low-flow faucet aerators to reduce the water usage in the office.
- Install dual-flush toilets [or Water Rhapsody Multiflush toilet mechanisms – see product demo]
- Put a brick or a bottle of water into the toilet reservoir to reduce the water usage [also toilet hippo].
- Fix leaking taps and toilets.
Source: Simply Green May/June 2010
Contact us for a FREE QUOTE on a solar water geyser, rainwater harvesting system, gray water system or water tank (we are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers and supply and install the full range of JoJo water tanks and JoJo tank stands). Our water tank prices are hard to beat in the Mpumalanga & Limpopo Lowveld (we also supply high quality Atlas Plastics water tanks and other Atlas Plastics products on request). Go green with your house, car and business insurance by switching to green insurance, now available in South Africa.