There are so many brands of plastic or polyethylene water tanks available but one should choose carefully to ensure your poly water tank gives good service life and stores the water safely.
Here are some tips to ensure you choose the right poly water tank:
- Check that the tank carry’s a manufacturer’s warranty or guaranty and ensure that you understand the conditions. You should be looking for a tank that carries at least a 5-year guaranty/warranty.
- Is the brand of the water tank well-known? Is the brand local or an import? Generally, it is safer to buy a local, well-known brand – you will be able to make use of local after sales service and advice. Imported tanks or ‘no-name’ tanks (sometimes branded with a particular retailer’s logo) are a risky purchase.
- Is the poly tank rotational moulded in a single piece or does it show seams? Rotational moulded tanks are superior as they do not have seams that could split or crack. Look carefully, some split-moulded tanks have their seams disguised.
- Is the material made from food-grade, virgin material? If you intend storing potable water for human consumption, make sure that the tank is rated for this purpose. Some cheaper ‘plastic’ tanks are made from polymers that could leach harmful chemicals into the stored water.
- Is the tank UV-protected? In climates such as South Africa, built-in UV-protection will ensure the water tank does not crack and fade in short order.
- Is there an algae-inhibiting inner lining? Many poly water tanks are sold without this extra feature which is particularly important in hot, sunny climates such as South Africa. The lining is usually black in colour and helps to lower maintenance sessions (algae can become a nuisance, affecting the taste and quality of the stored water).
- Does the tank have inlets, outlets and an overflow aperture? Cheap plastic tanks may not have these ‘extras’ but they really should be standard. Having to cut holes in the tank and fit connectors can become difficult, especially if the tank’s walls are very thin.
- Are there reinforcing bands built into the tank? Beware of plastic tanks without these reinforcements; they are prone to bulging and deformation.
- Does the tank come with a manhole and lid? Check that the lid can be properly secured. Cheaper plastic tanks often have ill-fitting lids making it difficult to keep debris and insects out.
Buying a good quality poly water tank will mean that you will be paying a slight premium over inferior brands but it will be worth it in the long term. Some of the cheaper plastic tanks on the market barely last a year! We recommend JoJo water tanks which carry an 8-year warranty, have a food-grade inner anti-algae lining and are good value for your money. Click on the links below to view the range of JoJo Tanks products available in South Africa.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!