Plastic horizontal tanks or transporter tanks can be a very good alternative to steel tanks mounted on water tankers or water bowsers; here are some advantages of plastic or polyethylene horizontal water tanks:
- Poly horizontal tanks are considerably less expensive than the typical steel cylindrical tanks seen on purpose-built bowsers
- The light weight of plastic horizontal tanks compared to steel tanks makes it possible to mount the plastic tanks on less powerful trucks, saving initial expense and running costs
- Lighter weight means that the vehicles will be using less fuel
- Plastic horizontal tanks are available in a wide range of capacities, ‘off the shelf’ so the cost and lead time of custom-made steel cylindrical tanks can be avoided
- The range of sizes of plastic horizontal tanks allows for the mounting of small tanks of a few hundred litres onto small trailers to much larger tanks of several thousand litres being mounted to large truck beds. There are poly horizontal water tanks that have been designed specifically to fit onto the load beds of most standard utility pick-ups or ‘bakkies’
- Plastic tanks are less prone to corrosion and do not rust/oxidise as some steel tanks do
- Poly horizontal tanks can easily be removed from the trailer or vehicle allowing for more versatility
Some points to look out for when choosing the ideal horizontal/transporter tank:
- Transport places stress on water tanks mounted to trailers and load beds; ensure that the tank has very noticeable and robust reinforcing ribs across a cylindrical or near cylindrical body
- Ensure that the tank is low in profile and that it has a flat base with integral ‘feet’ to help stabilise the tank
- The horizontal tank should also have integral lugs or tie-down points so that ropes can be securely fastened to the tank and the trailer/load bed body
- There should also be a wide enough manhole with a secure lid for easy filling and cleaning
- Ensure that there are drainage outlets fitted
- If the tank is to be used for transporting fuels and other chemicals, ensure that specific gravity of the substance is taken into account before deciding on standard, medium and heavy duty versions
- Make sure that the brand you choose carries a warranty or guaranty of at least 5 years
- If the tank is to be used for transporting water for human consumption, it is imperative to choose a poly horizontal tank that is certified for transporting and storing potable water
- Choose the right-sized horizontal tank for your specific trailer/pick-up load bed/truck
- Always choose plastic horizontal tanks of good quality. Remember a 5000 litre tank filled with water weighs 5 tonnes! Added to the forces in play on a moving vehicle, the stress placed on the structure of the tank can be enormous. Cheap horizontal tanks will not only not have a very long service life, they will also constitute a road-safety hazard and could cost the owner a fortune in the event of an accident and possible lawsuit action
- Following on from the above, make sure the trailer or vehicle is roadworthy and able to withstand a full tank during transport
JoJo horizontal tanks are available in capacities ranging from 240 litres to 5500 litres and most are available in three versions: standard duty (SG 1), medium duty (SG 1.4) and heavy duty (SG 1.6). JoJo tanks are made from food-grade polyethylene suitable for transporting potable water and carry an 8-year warranty. Click on the links below for more information about other JoJo Tanks products available in South Africa.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!