Here are some guidelines that outline the steps for installing your vertical poly water tank – the principles apply to all sizes of tanks whether it is a 2500 litre water tank or a 20000 litre water tank.
- Decide where you want the tank. The position of the water tank on the property will depend on a number of factors. If the tank is to be used for rainwater harvesting, it will need to be installed on the lower side of the building to allow gravity to direct the rain in the gutters to the tank. Other factors include where your main plumbing lines enter the building, space considerations & aesthetics.
- Level & compact the ground. If the water tank is to be placed at ground level, the first step is to level the area and compact it in preparation for laying the concrete slab.
- Measure & cut shuttering. Shuttering can be made from planks – this is to contain the concrete which will be poured in. Ensure that the slab’s dimensions will accommodate the tank and that the tank does not overlap the edges.
- Pour in the concrete. Pour concrete to a depth of at least 150mm (remember a full 10000 litre water tank weighs 10 tonnes!) and ensure the surface is level and smooth. The concrete should be allowed to set for around 2 days.
- Place the water tank on the slab. Place the tank on the centre of the concrete slab, taking care to ensure there are no stones or sharp objects underneath the tank.
- Tank stands. If the tank is to be raised above ground level, a steel tank stand is recommended. Follow the manufacturer’s installation guidelines for the concrete footings and ensure you have the means to lift the tank up onto the stand’s platform (a hoist or crane is sometimes required for the really big tanks).
- Connect the plumbing. If the tank is for a rainwater harvesting system, connect the downpipe from the gutter to the tank by cutting a hole in the top of the tank, ensuring that there are no gaps to allow debris and insects into the tank. A ‘first flush’ mechanism would usually be connected to reduce debris from the gutters entering the tank. Tanks used for other purposes (e.g. storing borehole water, municipal water) can be connected up to the building’s plumbing lines as appropriate. A booster pump may be required to increase the pressure of the water entering the building.
Water tank installation is not difficult but it does require some basic DIY skills and sometimes some extra manpower, especially where big tanks such as the 15000 litre or 20000 litre water tanks are concerned.
In South Africa, JoJo Tanks manufacture a huge range of plastic water tanks made from food-grade polyethylene; click on the links below to view the wide range of JoJo water tanks available.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!