In Africa, progress does not guarantee access to the most basic necessities. This is amply demonstrated by Ghana, whose economic growth is the envy of its neighbours even while the government is failing to ensure a sufficient supply of water. This failure comes at an economic and human cost, as expensive water from private suppliers […]
Tag Archives | South Africa water crisis
Nearly 50 percent of tap water is being stolen, wasted or simply leaking away every year in South Africa, the 30th driest country in the world. Record-keeping and water-metering is so shoddy that some municipalities don’t even know how much water they are using, according to a new report commissioned by the Water Research Commission.
A water crisis is looming in South Africa, communities are at risk of losing access to water, and coal is right in the middle of it, according to a report released by Greenpeace. This latest briefing is a stark reminder to the SA government to start pushing Eskom to substantially invest in renewable energy.
1. Educate to change consumption and lifestyles In the end, changing the face of this crisis involves education to motivate new behaviors. Coping with the coming era of water scarcity will require major overhaul of all forms of consumption, from individual use to the supply chains of major corporations, like GE. Some regions led by […]
International problem – acute in South Africa Only 30% or 11% of South Africa’s 283 municipalities are at this point in a position to render adequate water services, the Parliamentary Ad Hoc Committee on Service Delivery was told recently. It is, however, not a problem unique to South Africa and the dangers of a disaster […]
What is your country’s ‘water footprint’? The ‘water footprint’ of a country is defined as the volume of water needed for the production of goods and services consumed by the inhabitants of the country. The water footprint of a country can be calculated with either
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE A PRICE INCREASE IN JANUARY 2019. LAST ORDERS FOR 2018 WILL NEED TO BE PLACED BY 12/12/2018.
- Fear of a dry future for Cape Town June 27, 2018
- What is Raw Water, and is it healthy? January 7, 2018
- Rainwater Harvesting Calculator – South Africa December 29, 2017
- Lowveld Dam Levels – Watch out for the 2017/2018 dry season March 29, 2017
- Climate Watch for South Africa March 29, 2017
- Washing Machine Water Efficiency March 26, 2011
- Don’t Let your Swimming Pool Backwash Water Damage the Environment May 11, 2010
- The Use of Wind Turbines vs Solar Power in South Africa May 8, 2010
- The FIFA World Cup’s Carbon Impact June 4, 2010
- What is a Natural Swimming Pool? May 6, 2010