South Africa has been accused of putting undue pressure on a weak government to extract an unfair deal. Controversy continues to stalk the bilateral Lesotho Highlands water scheme because Lesotho’s new coalition government wants to scrap “prejudicial” sections of the country’s agreement with South Africa governing the construction of the proposed R9-billion Polihali dam.
Tag Archives | Lesotho Highlands Water Project
The planned two-month operation and maintenance shutdown of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project (LHWP) was not expected to impact Gauteng’s water supply, acting Cabinet spokesperson Phumla Williams said on Friday.
2986m m³ of water a year are transferred from the Lesotho mountains’ Katse and Mohale dams to South Africa’s Vaal River system through the Lesotho Highlands Water Project, phase 1, completed in 2004.
- Lowveld Dam Levels – Watch out for the 2017/2018 dry season March 29, 2017
- Climate Watch for South Africa March 29, 2017
- South Africa: Renewables Program Gains Momentum July 28, 2016
- Using Water Hyacinth (seaweed) to create everyday household products January 26, 2016
- Water Angels: Kindness during South Africa’s Severe Drought January 22, 2016
- Washing Machine Water Efficiency March 26, 2011
- Don’t Let your Swimming Pool Backwash Water Damage the Environment May 11, 2010
- The Use of Wind Turbines vs Solar Power in South Africa May 8, 2010
- The FIFA World Cup’s Carbon Impact June 4, 2010
- What is a Natural Swimming Pool? May 6, 2010