In 1990, the Voyager 1 space probe snapped a photograph of the earth. Made famous as a symbol of our common humanity and of a fragile planet, the image came to be known as the Pale Blue Dot. The dot was blue, of course, because its surface is wholly water. On day five of the […]
Tag Archives | 20000 litre tanks
Nasa’s Cassini spacecraft has found strong evidence for an ocean of water beneath the frozen crust of Saturn’s largest moon Titan, scientists said on Thursday. The finding propels Titan into a shortlist of places including Jupiter’s moon Europa and Saturn’s smaller moon Enceladus suspected of harbouring underground seas.
There are two very important reasons why we should conserve water. One is the obvious money-saving issue, while the second is something that the majority of the general public do not think of nearly enough – the environment.
Eskom aims to reduce its water consumption by 260 billion litres a year by 2030. The utility said the alternative technologies used at its new power stations would reduce the water requirement to 270 billion litres by next year. The company would have needed 530 billion litres to operate its coal-fired stations had the new […]
Johannesburg – With inspiration from a friend too lazy to take a shower and a few months of research on the internet, South African university student Ludwick Marishane has won global recognition for an invention that takes the water out of bathing.
Septic tank systems Septic tanks are classic ‘bio-digestors’ that rely on anaerobic bacteria to break down human sewage wastes over a period of (at least) 21 days. Septic systems are used to treat sewage from (usually) single dwellings in districts where municipal Wastewater Treatment Works are not available. Larger systems are also used by rural […]
There are many possible configurations and degrees of complexity to a rainwater catchment system with rainwater tanks or ‘rain barrels’.
Rural communities across Africa may soon benefit from improved water supplies thanks to mobile phone technology. UK researchers have developed data transmitters that fit inside hand pumps and send text messages if the devices break down.
- How to waste less wastewater February 2, 2020
- Jojo Tanks Suppliers April 21, 2019
- Fear of a dry future for Cape Town June 27, 2018
- What is Raw Water, and is it healthy? January 7, 2018
- Rainwater Harvesting Calculator – South Africa December 29, 2017
- Washing Machine Water Efficiency March 26, 2011
- Don’t Let your Swimming Pool Backwash Water Damage the Environment May 11, 2010
- The Use of Wind Turbines vs Solar Power in South Africa May 8, 2010
- The FIFA World Cup’s Carbon Impact June 4, 2010
- What is a Natural Swimming Pool? May 6, 2010