Believe it or not, the average roof of a home can collect up to 600 gallons of water for just an inch of rainfall. You can do a whole lot to keep that water from going to waste, such as making a good rainwater collection system paired with a rainwater tank for your convenience. It will help you keep your garden in better shape, while also allowing you to use it for other purposes as well. The following tips will let you know what you need to do to make it happen:
- You should find at least two water storage barrels or small water tanks if you want to have a good solution to your needs. You can usually buy one online, but you can also find a relatively cheaper solution with a local company that uses barrels for food storage or other goods. You can also make a suitable rain barrel from a large, cleaned plastic trash can if you sanitize it before you use it. Make sure you get a barrel which holds about at least 30 gallons of water. You need to make sure it has no toxic substances present within or in its making.
- You must then level an area right next to your downspout, the metal/plastic tube running from the gutters of your roof to the ground. You may need to reroute the downspout to your barrel or water tank, so you will have to prepare the platform beneath to make it work. You have to clear away rocks and other debris to get the job done, since if the ground itself isn’t flat you won’t enjoy the full volume of your rainwater tank. You have to clear any rocks and debris you have in the area so you can have a nice and steady base to work with.
- Assuming the downspout happens to empty on a concrete driveway or a patio that happens to be situated on a hill, then you will have to level the surface to make it workable. You can do that by stacking some plywood boards on the lower section so you can have a nice and level area.
- If you have more than a single downspout around your home, then you should do what you can to make sure you use the one that happens to be closest to your garden, so you won’t have to run of too far to use the collected water.
- You must create a layer of pea gravel for a better drainage around your installed rainwater tanks. This will help keep the water away from the foundations of your home. Just dig a small 5 inch rectangle in the area you leveled and fill it with about a half inch of pea gravel. If you have your downspout emptying on concrete, then you won’t need to deal with it. Pimlico cheap storage company.
Source: Guest Post by Heather Roberts
JoJo Tanks is probably the best known and trusted polyethylene water tank manufacturer in South Africa. JoJo Tanks also offer engineer-certified steel tank stands as well as a number of other products such as chemical tanks, septic tanks, silo tanks, conservancy tanks and more.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 8-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)