This is a choice that may face the prospective water tank buyer. We will briefly outline the pros and cons of both types of water tanks and where one may be a better option than the other.
- In general, underground water tanks will be more expensive than aboveground water tanks. This is due to the extra engineering and reinforcement that a underground water tank must have in order to prevent the walls collapsing when buried (especially if the tank is emptied).
- There are a wider variety of types and sizes of standard aboveground water tanks compared to underground water tanks.
- Where space is an issue, underground water tanks can be buried. Some robust designs, such as JoJo’s 6000 litre underground tank, can even be buried under driveways if properly installed.
- There may be factors preventing underground burial of water tanks such as pipes, cables, building regulations. In this case, one or more of the ‘Slimline’ range of tanks could be installed as these can fit into corners and do not take up much space (they are tall but have a relatively small area contacting the ground).
- Building regulations may restrict or prohibit aboveground water tanks, mainly for aesthetic reasons; permission may be granted for the installation of underground water tanks as these are obviously completely hidden from view.
- Water tanks on the surface are inherently more prone to damage from fires, floods, hurricanes and other environmental catastrophes. Underground tanks may be a lifesaver in certain situations when the Mains water supply is cut off and water tanks above ground have been destroyed or damaged.
- Similarly, underground water tanks are less prone to being tampered with or intentionally contaminated by criminals and vandals.
- Underground water tanks almost always require a pump in order to generate pressure and get the water to where it is needed. Surface water tanks can be placed on tank stands thereby eliminating or reducing the need for booster pumps.
- Surface tanks could probably be viewed as semi-permanent property fixtures and could be removed if the owner changes residence. Underground tanks must be seen as permanent fixtures.
- The cost and time to install a underground water tank is significantly more than for normal aboveground water tanks. Underground water tanks must be buried according to the manufacturers’ guidelines otherwise their service life could be severely compromised. Surface tanks are relatively easy to install, even for the layman.
Underground tanks and surface tanks have their place; assess what is required using the above points as a guide, then decide which type suits the situation best. The JoJo 6000 litre underground water tank is an outstanding, robust product and highly recommended if underground tanks are required. Click on the links below to view the wide range of JoJo water tanks and other high quality JoJo Tanks products available in South Africa.
JoJo Tanks South Africa offer a wide range of products such as plastic water tanks and chemical tanks to suit every household, business or agricultural need, including silo tanks and silo tank stands as well as other high quality JoJo Tanks products. See JoJo Tanks’ VERTICAL TANKS, HORIZONTAL TANKS (transporter tanks), STEEL TANK STANDS and OTHER JOJO PRODUCTS and see JoJo Tanks’ NEW 6000 LITRE UNDERGROUND TANKS. Also see our FAQ and WATER TANK PRICES.
JoJo’s superior polyethylene plastic water tanks and steel water tank stands make JoJo Tanks the leaders in plastic water tank technology and the quality, affordability and 5-year guarantee on these water tanks make JoJo products one of the best choices in South Africa. *All JoJo Tanks polyethylene tanks and products now carry a 8 year warranty (on tanks purchased on or after 1 July 2013)* JoJo’s water tanks and chemical tanks come standard with a number of features that are often lacking on cheaper/inferior plastic tanks made by other companies in South Africa.
We are authorised JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa and dispatch orders directly from JoJo Tank depots to save on transport costs. Full range of JoJo Tanks products and JoJo water tanks for sale. CONTACT US for a quote on the right JoJo water tank or other JoJo product for you. Special discounts are available on multiple orders of chemical tanks and water tanks and to our commercial and government customers. We can usually delivery tanks and tank stands free of charge to business/commercial addresses in South Africa.
SPECIAL ON MULTIPLE ORDERS OF 10000 litre, 15000 litre & 20000 litre JOJO WATER TANKS AND CHEMICAL TANKS…CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE!
(15000 litre and 20000 litre JoJo vertical water tanks & chemical tanks are available on order directly from JoJo Tanks’ main factory)
Live in the USA and need rainwater harvesting equipment? Click HERE!