- Myth: Going green is expensive.Fact: Although some green products are expensive, not all of them are. Some green habits end up being less expensive in the long run—unplugging your electronics when they aren’t in use will save you money in the long run.
- Myth: Appliances use no energy when turned off.Fact: Some appliances use as much energy turned off as they do turned on. Electrical products such as air conditioners, VCRs, cell phone chargers, etc… typically aren’t off unless they are unplugged or turned off via a power strip.
- Myth: All paper is recyclable. Fact: While it is true that most paper is recyclable, oil and recycling don’t mix. So a stained pizza box, paper plate, or napkin would do more harm in the recycle bin than good.
- Myth: Organic food is always better for the planet.Fact: It depends on where the food is grown. An organic banana from Chile is worse for the planet than a regular banana grown 5 miles from your home in L.A. Make sure you weigh the pros and cons of each option before buying!
- Myth: Leaving a light on uses less energy than turning it on and off several times.Fact: If you are using an incandescent light, you will consume more energy by leaving it on. CFLs, on the other hand, should be left on if it will be needed in 15 minutes. Turning CFLs on and off too frequently can wear them out.
- Myth: Energy efficiency is the same thing as energy conservation.Fact: You can conserve energy by being more energy efficient, but these two things are not the same. Conserving energy is an act—like turning off a light. But an energy-efficient appliance uses less energy to accomplish the same task as a non-efficient appliance.
- Myth: You can’t use solar energy in far northern latitudes. Fact: Germany is the second-largest user of solar energy in the world, and the country is located between 48 and 52 degrees latitude. On a similar note, an island off of the coast of Maine has been almost completely powered by solar energy since the 1980s.
Source: All Green Recycling (Amy Erickson)
Contact us for all your water conservation and solar energy requirements. Our WWF Award Winning water conservation systems include rainwater harvesting systems, rainwater tanks, grey water recycling systems, greywater irrigation systems, water-saving toilet flush mechanisms, swimming pool backwash recycling systems (see product demo) as well as the full range of JoJo water tanks and water tank stands (we are authorized JoJo Tanks dealers in South Africa). Yes Solar Mpumalanga supplies SABS and Eskom-approved solar water heaters that are installed professional Eskom-accredited solar installers. We supply FREE QUOTES on all our eco-friendly products and services.