Green driving doesn’t necessarily mean replacing your old car with a ‘green car’. Hybrid cars are often expensive and come at a greater, unseen environmental cost (e.g. the mining, shipping and manufacturing of some batteries for electric cars uses up huge amounts of energy). It’s cheaper, easier and possibly more eco-friendly to simply change your driving habits.
A quick summary of green driving tips:
- Don’t step on the accelerator pedal! Drive smoothly.
- Avoid unnecessary idling.
- Plan your trip – it’ll save time and money.
- Remove unnecessary weight from your vehicle.
- Use the air vents instead of using the air conditioner.
- Maintain your car well- more fuel efficient and prevents costly mechanical failure.
- Drive at recommended speed limits – lower fuel consumption and no speeding fines!
- Drive at a constant speed (when cruising) in the correct gear.